It is critical after rhinoplasty to apply ice to the eyes and cheek area for up to 72 hours after surgery. Often times the eyes and cheeks are the source of bruising and swelling. Ice vasoconstricts the area minimizing bruising and swelling.
Instructions for Ice:
- For comfort, a light piece of gauze can be placed over the eyes.
- A glove is filled with long slender pieces of ice. The ice is placed in each finger of the glove.
- Recline the chair back so that the glove will not slide down.
- Place glove on forehead, eyes and cheek almost continuously for the first 72 hours.
- Some patients prefer the use of frozen peas. Frozen peas are placed in two gloves and tied to each other.
- Allow the ice to remain on eyes and cheek area.