Mohs Reconstruction is a procedure to reconstruct the face after a defect is created in the face by Mohs surgery. Mohs surgery is an advanced technique by specially trained dermatologic surgeons who use this to remove skin cancer. Skin cancer has the highest propensity of being on the face, and most commonly the nose.
Mohs Reconstruction in Chicago, IL
Dr. Shah expertly reconstructs the face depending on the size of the defect. Some patients may have procedures that require one stage to reconstruct while others may require multiple stages. Dr. Shah’s emphasis in reconstruction is to allow for functional and aesthetic reconstruction of the area.
Examples of Defects Repaired by Dr. Shah
Mohs Reconstruction FAQs
98% success rate in basal cell carcinoma on face.
Surgical excision vs Mohs’ micrographic surgery for basal-cell carcinoma of the face: randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2004 Nov 13;364(9447):1766-7.
I think it is a challenge on every case to close each defect in a way which returns the patient back to normal. When patients are missing parts of their nose, faces, and ears and you can recreate them it is very gratifying for both the patient and myself.
I have a very large aesthetic practice. Aesthetics and beauty influence how I close a lesion. For example, reconstructing a nasal defect, knowledge or nasal anatomy from my rhinoplasty background allows me the opportunity to not only recreate the defect but do so with an elegance.
Absolutely. I feel that the reverse holds true as well (performing large amounts of aesthetic surgery has made me a better reconstructive surgeon). To recontour an existing nose is quite different than recreating a nose. Both have challenges but repairing complex Mohs defects always gives a new perspective on rhinoplasty.
If you live near Chicago, IL, Anil Shah Facial Plastic Surgery offers mohs reconstruction surgery among its services and is conveniently located at 200 West Superior St., Suite 200 Chicago, IL 60654
Mohs Reconstruction Preoperative Instructions.
Postoperative Mohs Reconstruction Instructions
- Clean off any crusts with hydrogen peroxide solution (over the counter) with a q-tip. This is to keep maintain your incision and allow for the best healing possible.
- Apply topical ointment to incision. Keep covered with ointment at all times.
- Apply ice to eyes with an ice pack. Some patients have found frozen peas effective.
- Keep head above heart while sleeping by using a few pillows.
- A small amount of bleeding around the incision is normal for the first few days
Why Choose Dr. Anil Shah
- Dr. Anil Shah, MD, FACS is considered one of the best plastic surgeons in Chicago specializing in rhinoplasty (Nose Job Surgery) facelift and eyelift.
- He has published over 50 scientific articles within the field of plastic surgery. Dr. Shah has written three landmark articles about facial anatomy revolutionizing the way plastic surgery is performed.
- He works with a large range of patients whose livelihood depends on their face including models, actresses, and the social elite.
- Surgical Internship at University of Illinois at Chicago
- Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Residency at Cook County Hospital (Stroger), Children’s Memorial Hospital (Northwestern), Lutheran General Hospital, St. Joseph’s Hospital, Michael Reese Medical Center.
- Board Certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic Surgery and the American Board of Otolaryngolgy-Head and Neck Surgery.