One of the hottest websites around is www.profiler1.com. It is based on the Personology, which is a field of study used to predict character traits and behaviors of an individual based on an assessment of their facial features. The website, which guarantees a 92% correspondence between facial characteristics and personal traits allows an individual to receive a personality diagnosis by simply uploading a photo. The field of personology has identified 68 personal attributes that are linked to facial characteristics. Personology claims to determine behavioral traits from simple characteristics such as lip size or ear position.
While the website may be a fun site to play around with, interpreting its results as fact is probably not warranted. Personology is actually related to phyignomony which is said that the character of a person is based on the outside appearance. This was used by the ancient Greeks, Romans and during the Renaissance. Leonardo da Vinci critiqued the science except for person’s with lines created by corrugator (commonly known as number 11’s) as terrible people. Personology is based on a judge named Edward Jones who reviewed facial characteristics of faces who appeared in his courtroom. A newspaper editor named Whiteside later used it to predict patient’s characteristics around 90% of the time. The validity of Whiteside’s study and science behind has been questioned by many authorities.
My interpretation of Personology is that I would not take any advice as literal and think of the site as a novelty. It does bring up the very real point of first impressions, judging a book by its cover, which is relevant on first dates and job interviews. Also how would someone’s personality be affected by plastic surgery. Below is a chart of common nose types and the associated personality trait linked with each based on Personology.
- Big Nose – An assertive individual. Takes charge in work and social situations.
- Small Nose – Able to perform repetitive tasks that could be considered mundane to others.
- Eagle Nose – An exaggerated version of a big nose individual. Needs to feel well-respected.
- Helper’s Nose – Has an intuitive sense to assist others.
- Rounded Nose Tip – An inquisitive individual. A thorough researcher who wants all available information.
- Nose Profile Up – A very trusting individual. Will believe everything, could be considered gullible.
- Nose Profile Down – A skeptical individual. May require proof in order to accept the truth.
- Nose Profile Horizontal – A balanced individual. Takes a fair and level approach.