Submitted by Admin on Mon, 07/15/2013 - 11:37
1. The first rhinoplasty was performed in India by the ayuverdic physician Sushurta in 800 B.C. He developed plastic surgery techniques for reconstructing noses after they were amputated for criminal punishment. These techniques were discovered centuries later by British physicians in the 18th century.
2. The average plastic surgeon performs only 7 rhinoplasties per year. Only 5% perform more than 100 rhinoplasties per year. Make sure you go to a surgeon who performs at least one hundred rhinoplasties per year. For example, Dr. Shah performed over 300 rhinoplasty procedures in 2013.
3. It can take more than one year for a nose to heal after a rhinoplasty. This is in part due to swelling and lymphatic drainage of the nose. There are procedures to expedite this process such as taping and injections to the nasal tip.
4. Rhinoplasty can be used to help the nose breathe better. The inside of the nose is made up of cartilage and boney structure called the nasal septum. When it is deviated it can lead to nasal obstruction.
5. Rhinoplasty is thought to be the most challenging of plastic surgery procedures. The revision rate of rhinoplasty is reported to be as high as 20-30%. Find an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon with a low rate of revision to help improve your outcome.
Submitted by Admin on Mon, 05/13/2013 - 07:29
Almost every person will get it at some point: gray hair. Currently, there is no medical treatment. The only solution, consists of either monthly trips to the salon or using highlights to hide the gray and white follicles.
A recent study may lead to an insight on the age old mystery on why hair turns gray. A team of researchers found a correleation in gray hair with higher levels of hydrogen peroxide as well as peroxynitirite in the skin. These two substances accumulate in skin and hair as a result of oxidative stress. This is thought to be the reason why patients with vitiligo, a condition of areas of white patches in the skin, prematurely have gray or white hair.
The researchers found that if the patients were given a cream that eliminates the hydrogen peroxide, hair would repigment back to its original hair color. The cream is currently not on the market and goes by the name topical NB-UVB-activated pseudocatalase PC-KUS. Obviously if this comes to market it will have a catchier name.
The take home message from this study is to eliminate oxidative stress, which includes avoiding smoking, sun exposure. This would also include eating a diet rich in antioxidants to help decrease oxidative stress. Finally, it seems that the magic potion for gray hair might be one step closer.
Submitted by Admin on Mon, 04/29/2013 - 15:43
Looks like even celebrities rely on their plastic surgeons-- whether it’s for brown spots, wrinkles, or skin rejuvenation.
Courteney Cox, the former Friends star, admitted to her anti-aging secret: lasers! On the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, she said “You know what, I’m game for anything. I’m very open to trying to prolong the inevitable... I'm a BIG laser believer and I really think they are the wave of the future. I just did Ulthera, which is supposed to produce collagen. And I'm about to do Fraxel, which will get rid of all these brown spots off my arms, chest, and face." After Jay gave her a compliment she tried covering up her arms. She explained, “I did kind of a Fraxel peel to take all the spots away... Like a laser thing.”
Dr. Shah offers his patients the same treatments stars like Courteney Cox, 48, admits to doing. Dr. Shah is a pioneer for laser technology and aesthetic procedures such as Botox, Juvederm, and Radiesse. “I have patients coming in to see me from all walks of life to address the very same issues facing Courteney Cox,: says Dr. Shah. “And just as we would for a celebrity, we offer a consultation for anyone wishing to discuss their aesthetic needs and desires.”
Dr. Shah offers exclusive lasers that can do things from erasing wrinkles you never thought you could get rid of all the way to making your skin look like you’re 20 again. Whether you’re looking to enhance or change your face, eyes, skin, or body Dr. Shah and his welcoming staff will make your life-changing experience positive, relaxing, and truly exciting!